Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Importance of Support


I've spoken at some MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) groups this school year and I've noticed something: they are all there because they want and need support. This season of life is demanding and exhausting and downright overwhelming. I've seen hundreds of moms at these meetings and they are desperate to connect with other moms. They are looking for a listening ear. They need a hug from a friend. They want a break from nursing and changing diapers. They want to laugh. They are looking for a word from God.

If you have babies or preschoolers, it is vital that you connect with other moms on a regular basis. At the very least it gives you perspective on things. Life doesn't seem so hard when you share it's details with a friend. When we experience life together it is much richer! I find it encouraging simply to be around others who are experiencing what I am; it makes my life seem more normal, too. Do you need that? I do!

When it comes to motherhood I often think I have it so hard, as if no one else has ever had strong willed kids! I met a lady about four years ago who has a strong-willed child. This mom is about ten years older than me so I listened to everything she had to say because she'd been there already. She knew how to pray for me and my situation and she wasn't critical. It's been such a blessing to have a more seasoned mother give me some much needed affirmation and support.

I challenge you to find moms who are in the same exact boat as you. If you have a newborn, find a mom with a newborn. Share your difficulties and fears. If you have twins or triplets, connect with a multiples group in your area. I encourage you to find a mom who is further down the road of parenthood than you, too. You will be amazed and what she has to offer you. God created us to be in relationship with others. But they won't always knock on your door. Go and find those friends. Mom, you need support!

Be lifted!

Proverbs 11:25
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

post signature





No comments: