Monday, June 23, 2008

BIDING YOUR TIME

Hey Everybody,

I've just returned from a wonderful weekend in Concord, NC, at the Proverbs 31 Ministries' She Speaks! Conference. My daughter Danya and I were blessed be a part of the Next Generation track for teen girls at the conference. I spoke and Danya led worship for 37 of the most beautiful young ladies--girls who definitely bring hope to their generation!

I also got to speak personally to many of the women attending the conference, and one young mom in particular told me that she felt to overwhelmed by her duties as a wife and mother, and yet she feels the cry of her heart is to minister to other women. What to do? I think she is in a season of "biding her time."

The enemy, Satan, will do everything he can to distract us moms from our top priorities:
1. Relationship with our Lord
2. Relationship with our husbands
3. Relationship with our kids

Don't walk over one mission field in your haste to get to the next. Your season will come, and you will see that God has a plan for everything He wants you to do. You'll get to do it all, just not all at the same time! Keep those priorities in order, and keep your focus on Christ!

~Rebecca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to be able to go and minister at this amazing conference. I have heard so much about it and hope to attend in the future! How neat to hear your report :)

Unknown said...

Great post!!! And o, so true!

Missy said...

I struggled with this immensely when I first became a mom. I had served in ministry for years and now - cold turkey! I couldn't even pray without falling asleep halfway through! I couldn't even get a meal cooked for my family, much less for another family in need!

A mentor helped me to realize that my problem was with my image of God. Because I was not "serving" (or so I mistakenly thought) I had this nagging fear that He was so disappointed in me. I realized that I was operating under a very works-based theology. By pointing out scripture she convinced me that God loves me, utterly and completely based on the actions of Christ, and NOT based on how many bible studies I could lead. Or not lead. This has been so liberating, and has changed my life. GRACE.

I am volunteering for VBS this summer for the first time since having kids, and helping lead a Bible study in the fall, because I finally *want* to. And feel like it would not detract from my family. I am not doing it out of a sense of guilt or a case of the shoulds. I have asked God for years for the chance to serve in the church again - and He has finally allowed it.

But you know what, he would love me just as much if I never taught VBS again!!