Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mommy, will you play with me?

I have such a horrible confession to make.  I have to do it now or I'll lose my nerve.  Our life is a tad hectic right now.  My husband started his new job in Indianapolis yesterday.  We are here in Minneapolis trying to get the house on the market by this Thursday.  There are still about ten projects that need to be done and I'm out of gas.  On Saturday we were having a marathon of sorts, getting as much done as possible.  My nine year old daughter asked me, "Mommy, will you play with me?" as I was doing yard work.  I did something I've never done before (honestly!)...I totally ignored her as I kept working.  I was so focused on getting my stuff done that I didn't even reply!  I had one of those pity parties that night, thinking, "I'm the worst mother ever."  So I went to her bed and told her in these words (maybe not recommended), "Mom was a jerk today.  I can't believe I ignored you.  I'm sorry I didn't play with you but I'm even more sorry that I ignored you.  I'm sure that hurt your feelings.  Please forgive me.  No matter what let's go to the park tomorrow."  We hugged and went to the park the next day.  I know this is a harried season for us but our kids don't really get that.  So I have to be extra careful to not ignore their needs.  I'm sure our house will sell regardless of how the yard looks.  I think God will honor me playing with my kids here and there, in between all the work that needs to be done.  We could spend a million dollars and a million hours on this house, but the sale of it is in his timing and surely in his hands.  

Please!!!  Stop what you are doing, and play with your kids.  What do they like to do??  My baby loves puzzles and playdoh, soccer and baseball; my Kindergartner loves chess and cards, soccer and baseball; my daughter will play anything as long as I do it with her.  Find what your kids love to do and just do it with them.  The chores, no matter how complex or time-consuming, will still be there.  What is your absolute priority today?  I pray it's your kids.  I think God will give you more energy and time for your chores if you make him first and your family second. I challenge you to give that a try.

Please pray that I prioritize my kiddos during this transition.   It's tough but well worth it.

Be lifted!
Sue

1 John 4:12 b
"...but if we love on another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."  

2 comments:

Mrs. H said...

I think many were reminded to cherish our loved ones when Steven Curtis Chapman lost his daughter. The song he wrote (Cinderella) says it all. Thank you for this post. Now that summer is here I tend to get frazzled when I can't get my house work done, but you know, I have to keep reminding myself I have ALL summer to clean. Best wishes!

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Sue,

What a great post and a timely reminder for all of us moms, no matter what the age of our kids.

Rebecca