Monday, June 9, 2008

Keeping Baby Safe!

I can't say it hasn't happened to me, because it did.

Years ago, when my youngest was just around 3 months old, I left him in the car--it was just for a couple of seconds, but I will never forget it. Here's how it happened: My husband and I had left our two older children in the care of grandparents while we went to do some shopping. Derek had to stay with me because I was nursing him. I had just gotten out of the car and I turned to wait for Rich, ready to head into the store. "Aren't you forgetting something?" he asked incredulously.

My baby. I had forgotten my baby!

Talk about guilt and shame! I just started bawling because I realized what could have happened, and I started in on myself with all the "what if's"--What if Rich wasn't with me? What if I had gone in the store and stayed? What if something--something awful--had happened to my baby?

I felt like the worst mother in the world. Looking back on it, it wasn't so much that I was a bad mom, it was the fact that I was a creature of habit. Derek was only three months old. I was used to dropping the kids off with grandparents occasionally and letting my mind rest, knowing they were in the best of care. Now, however, I had another child to care for! I was still "ON," even though I felt "OFF" because I didn't have the other two. Does this make sense?

Summer brings hot weather and hot cars, and the danger of leaving a baby in the car is very real. It can happen. Often it happens because people are so entrenched in their habits. A few years ago, a dad who was not used to dropping his son off at daycare left him in the car. The baby fell asleep, the dad had his mind on his work, and he bypassed the daycare, going straight to his office instead. It was a tragic death.

Check out these reminders to get yourself in the HABIT of doing things to insure that your auto-pilot is always tuned in to your baby:

1. Put your purse next to your baby's carseat in the back. You will get your purse when you get your baby out of the car. A dad can put his cellphone or wallet next to the baby's carseat.
2. Get in the habit of talking to your baby as you prepare to exit the car. Announce, "We're here!" before you even unfasten your seatbelt.
3. Avoid using the cute little car shades on the backseat windows. When those are affixed to windows, no one can see if there is a baby back there.

No one thinks she would ever forget her baby. I would have NEVER thought that about myself. Take precautions this summer! Your baby is counting on you!

When pride comes, disgrace follows, but with humility comes wisdom." Proverbs 11:2


~Rebecca

1 comment:

Sue McRoberts said...

I used to put my purse by the baby's seat too! Great ideas. We are all human, doesn't mean we don't love our babies!
Sue