Thursday, December 11, 2008

By the book

I remember when my daughter was first born.  I had no idea what I was doing and had zero experience with babies of any age.  I was never much of a babysitter either!  So what did I do?  I bought the books with all the information I could ever need.  I assumed if it was in a book then it had to be right and it had to be exactly what my daughter needed.  What to Expect the First Year was my favorite.  It was simple and easy to follow.  But then my daughter started deviating here and there from what the book said was normal.  I was confused!  Was my child wrong? Was the book wrong?  Wasn't there a proven formula for all this motherhood/ childhood stuff? I honestly had a rude awakening.  As I had two more kids I rarely looked at the book.  I would check out rashes and symptoms to see if we needed to go to the doctor but that was about it.  The first time around the books were really nice, reminded me that I was doing things correctly and that my daughter was okay.  But these wonderful books were limited.  God makes us all different!  We grow at different rates, we change and progress at different times.  One baby's rash is another baby's crisis.   I had to learn to trust my instincts.  I also learned that the only book that is always right is the Bible!  Concerning my children I have consulted the Bible over and over and over again and it always applies to me and my kids.  There aren't parts of it that I skip because they don't pertain to us.  So  here's some advice.  Read the baby books, there is a ton of good information in there.  But don't be surprised when your baby isn't doing exactly what the book says he/ she should be doing at that particular age.  On the other hand, as you are consulting your Bible for guidance and asking God how to raise them...don't be surprised when you learn that your child is a sinner by nature.   That one shocked me too, never saw it coming.  Sure, buy the books, read the books, consult with them.  But if you have to go by the book, make it God's word.

Be lifted!

Psalm 119:9-11
How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.


post signature

Sorry for the late post...I had a horrible migraine yesterday.  It's lingering today...





No comments: