Monday, March 10, 2008

Have a Seat


One of my funniest pregnancy stories is of the day my husband took me to see the beautiful rocker-recliner he had just bought. It was supposed to be a Christmas present (the baby was due in January), and because he knew I had been worrying about how I would rock the baby (since we had no rocking chair), he took me to see the one on the showroom floor. The store would be delivering mine the next week.I loved the color, but when I sat down in it, I began to cry. It didn't fit my body! I was so upset. Of course, nothing was going to fit my body at about 3 weeks away from my due date. But a million thoughts ran through my mind, urged along by my raging hormones:


1) Rich has wasted our money on this chair.

2) We didn't have the money to waste.

3) We will go bankrupt over this chair.

4) I do not fit this chair.

5) I will never fit any chair again.

6) I will never be comfortable and able to sit anywhere ever again.

7) The baby will not sleep without being rocked.

8) I cannot rock in this chair that I don't fit.

9) The baby will not sleep.

10) I will not sleep.

11) No one will sit or sleep ever again.....


It sounds so crazy, but that was where I was! Fortunately, it was temporary! Those thoughts that seemed to make so much sense and that situation that seemed so permanent were just temporary. I was rocking away--comfortably--in that chair as soon as we brought the baby home, and now, almost 16 years later, we still have that chair! And yes, it does fit me just fine! It always has.


It is so easy to get caught up in temporary situations or even feelings and think they are going to last forever. You will be a mom forever, but every moment of motherhood is temporary--fleeting. So choose to cherish it!

Love your new baby.
Laugh at yourself.
Learn as you go.
And tell your funny stories with honesty and openness. You will be an encouragement to someone else!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a first time mom-to-be and noticed no one has commented yet. Please please keep up the blog. It is so refreshing to see Christian advice for new moms!

Sue McRoberts said...

Hello New Mom!

Don't worry--we'll keep pressing on! Thanks for visiting!

Sue McRoberts said...

Hi New Mom! I'm so glad you stopped by. We'll keep writing! We know that God has brought us together for a purpose. Hopefully you'll be uplifted and encouraged. God bless you!
Sue

Anonymous said...

Great story! I'm almost 6 months pregnant with my third baby and am already feeling HUGE! So it was a good reminder for me to remember that these feelings are temporary.

Kim said...

Oh my gosh I just laughed out loud! Thanks for that :) I am currently writing a Christian book on ppd so I was so happy to find your site. God bless you ladies!