Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Don't give up

Galatians 6:9
Let's not get tired of doing good.  At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up.

Last night something bizarre happened between my daughter and me.  She is nine and I've never known her to be sensitive to others, it's just not in her nature...so far.  I haven't taken Child Psych for years so perhaps most nine year olds are still egocentric.  I have been telling her for years that it is crucial to treat others kindly and be supportive and gentle with people.  These are a few things I'll never back down on with my kiddos.  I've often wondered when I would  see any of that in my daughter.

Yesterday I found out that one of my best and oldest childhood friend's dad died.  I am closer to their family than most of my uncles, aunts, and cousins.  I was simply a wreck yesterday.  My little boys never noticed tears in my eyes.  But right before bedtime my daughter came up to me and asked me, "Are you stressed?  Has someone upset you?"  I about fell out of the chair I was in.  That may not sound like a big deal to you but for those of you reading this that know my daughter, that was huge!  I feel like she is finally getting some compassion for others.  

What is important to you and your family?  I challenge you to really think about it.  I've decided a lot of things don't matter at all any more.  The fact that my daughter wears shorts when it's 50 (remember we live in MN so that's  summer weather to some...) and my son loves to wear orange and red together...these things don't matter.  Do they look like they don't have a mother?  Some days yes.  But do they treat people well?  Do they love Jesus?  Are they  concerned for someone besides themselves?  These things matter to me.  And I hope when I look back on their lives I can say a resounding yes.  

Don't give up!  Everything you are teaching your little ones matters.  Everything.

Sue

No comments: