Monday, April 21, 2008

"I"ll always be a First-Time Mom"

I was dropping my daughter off last week to babysit for a friend who has four children, one recently adopted from Liberia. I asked her how it was going with the new baby and how everyone was adjusting. As we chatted about the changes her family was undergoing, she said, "You know what? I'll always be a first-time mom, because of him." She pointed to her oldest and began to explain, "Everything he does, every age, every stage, I'm brand new at it. So I'll always be a first-time mom."

As I began to think about my friend's simple but profound statement, I knew it was true. My oldest is 16. It's my first time having a 16-year-old daughter. The older of my two boys is 13. So it's my first time having a 13-year-old son. Wow! You mean I'm always going to be new at this? I think so--even my 11-year-old son constantly presents me with new surprises and challenges that are unique to my being his mom.

Maybe it's important to remember, as well, that our children are "first-time kids." If you're the mother of an infant, think about how different the world outside the womb is compared to that cozy, watery world inside. No wonder that baby fusses! It's her first time! And as for teenagers, well, it's their first time growing up! Praise God that we don't have to repeat the process! It's really hard!

Fortunately, nothing is new for our Lord. He is unchanging, faithful, and everlasting. He is true to His Word and His character. And because Jesus has walked in our shoes, He understands our concerns and our confusion when it comes to parenting. It might be our first time, but not His! Trust Him today with your every need, knowing that He is never surprised, He never says, "Oops!" and He is never far away.
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. (Isaiah 43:19)


Rebecca

No comments: