Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Encourage one another

I have some tough kids.  I have two that are volatile in an aggresive, crying, yelling, freaking out kind of way.  I have another one who just cries at the drop of a hat lately.  I feel like all I ever do is correct the behavior of Thing One and Thing Three and console Thing Two.  Kids are emotional little creatures!  Sometimes I find myself getting sucked into the drama.  I want to scream myself and holler, "Just quit yelling and crying everybody!"  I cannot fathom where they got so much emotion...  I have to remind myself quite often that they need my encouragement, not for me to join in their emotion-fest.  It is our jobs as moms to encourage our children, to build them up.  Yes, there is a time for correction  and consolation and everything in between. But at the heart of all we say and do, are we encouraging?  Think of one thing each day this week that you can do and say (yes do both things!!) to each of your children to build them up.  Maybe it's a note in a lunch box.  Maybe it's a special prayer of blessing at bedtime.  Maybe it's a lullaby as you rock your newborn.  Maybe it's a steady hand as your baby works on walking.  Maybe it's just a change of tone from sour to sweet.   Ask God to show you how you can encourage your children.  You might just change the bickering, fighting, screaming, and crying once and for all.  I doubt it could happen overnight, I've lived long enough to know better, but positive words create a positive environment.  And a positive environment will be a fertile place to teach your kids about God's love as well as your own!


1 Thesselonians 5:11

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.  


Be lifted!

post signature





No comments: