Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Examples



Today is not a good day for me to post. I had a root canal two days ago, I have a sore throat that could make me cry, and a sleepless night that ended in tears. My mind and heart have been heavy concerning one subject: examples. Yes, we are examples to our kids. But let me tell you, there are hundreds of examples that your kids are exposed to during their childhood. Teachers, preachers, vacation Bible school workers, coaches, piano instructors, doctors, dentists, clerks, bank tellers, trash collectors, presidents, the list is endless. No matter how significant or insignificant each of these people seem, they all have an impact on you and your children. The messages that children received directly or indirectly does affect how they see the world and themselves. It helps to form their thinking as well as the development of their values system. In our imperfect world it is imperative that we are great examples for our kids. It is terribly important that we expose them to loving adults outside the family unit as well. Kids need to hear it from us and from others that they are valued and valuable. I believe that will make it all the more believable to them that God in heaven loves them, too.

My son has a shirt that says, "Yep, Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so." I want that to be fresh on my son's heart every day. I constantly ask my kids, "Who loves you?" They rattle off the list, "Mom, Dad, Grandma, the dog, brother, sister, God, Jesus, Grandpa..." Remind your kids daily of who loves them. These are powerful examples in your children's lives. Strong human role models are precious. But understanding God's attributes and holiness are crucial to developing faith in children. Don't lose sight of the little things. Jesus and his words are the best examples of all.



post signature


1 John 3:18-19
...let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence.


No comments: