Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Big bottoms

Kids are all the same when it comes to one thing, they speak the plain ole truth.  Kids will blurt out things that embarrass us, humiliate us; sometimes they say things that crack us up. Some of my most embarrassing moments have been in the hands of my children, rather they've come out of my children's mouths.  For instance, when my youngest was about ten days old, my older son told the young clerk at Target, "My brother eats my mom's nipples."  Talk about an awkward moment.  Well, yesterday my youngest son humiliated me without an audience to hear him.  He patted me on the rear end and said, "You've got a biiiiig bottom!"  Now I don't want to get into Arlene's territory too much but this was quite a downer for me.  I know my son is two.  I know I'm a grown-up.  But boy, that was a smack in the face, er, rear.  I have kept 12 of my baby weight pounds off for 18 months but now I'm working on the last five.  I have two more pounds to go and I will be pleased as punch with myself when they are gone.  The funny thing is my son is right.  I do have a big rear end.  When I lose the last two pounds I will still have a big rear.  If I lose five more and get to my high school weight, I'll still have a big one.  Bottom line?  Yes, the pun  was intended...  I have worked hard to get here and that is good for me and my family.  I am modeling a healthy, active lifestyle for my kids.  And I hope and pray that I'm modeling having a healthy view of my body for my daughter.  I don't have a gorgeous body like all the women in the magazines.  But I can be proud of the work I am doing.  I can be thankful to God for the way he made me instead of wanting to be something I'm not.  And I can be grateful to God that he has given me the desire to take care of myself.  With a family history like mine--full of diabetes and heart problems--I need to be proactive.  I want to be healthy so I can enjoy a lot of years with my kiddos.  So what motivates you to be healthy?  

Here's to living healthy!  Even if some of us still have big bottoms...  I'm glad God didn't make us all the same shape, what a boring world that would be!

Be lifted!
Sue

1 Corinthians 4:7
What do you have that God hasn't given you?  And if all you have is from God, why boast as though you have accomplished something on your own?

No comments: