Monday, September 15, 2008

EASY IS OKAY!

One of my favorite discoveries as a mom has been the crock pot! Today I have fresh carrots, potatoes, and a roast cooking in mine! I usually coat the bottom with a little olive oil, and then layer the veggies, with the meat on top. My roast is sprinkled with garlic powder and then I threw in a can of cream of mushroom soup. You don't have to do cream of mushroom soup, of course (Back-pedaling as I am now wondering what Arlene will think about that!). My mom cooked hers in apple juice! :)

It is hard to get everything right and get it all done when you are a new mom with little ones underfoot. The days that I can get supper accounted for and in the crock pot are days when there is a bit of a bounce to my step!

Here are some really easy things to do with chicken.

Start with boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (a less expensive option would be thighs--they're just as good. Be sure to take the skin off!)

  • Mexican chicken. Add a jar of your favorite salsa.
  • Italian chicken. Add a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce.
  • Orange chicken. Combine orange marmelade, BBQ sauce, and a dash of soy sauce. (Sorry I don't have exact measurements here, but I really don't think you can go wrong. If you like it sweeter, go heavy on the marmelade. If you like it more BBQ-y, do equal parts.)

Cook on Lo for 8 hours or Med for 4-6.


I'm all for doing things as easy as possible. What good is a good meal if you are exhausted and cranky when it is time to sit down and eat it?

Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.
(Proverbs 21:19)


post signature

No comments: