Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Listening skills

Labor Day weekend we had family come visit for our son's third birthday.  We went to Chuck E. Cheese, out for ice cream and karaoke (seriously, coolest place in town), and to the park.  It was a fun-filled weekend for a toddler.  I was struggling, through all the excitement, to get my son to obey me.  It was time to use the potty chair and he was too engrossed in his new toys to come with me.  I told him I  was frustrated because he wasn't listening and obeying me.  He said to me, "But Mommy, I listened good last week!"  Oh how I laughed!  

Don't we do the same thing in our lives?  We're inconsistent with our kids--admit it sometimes you are!  We can be inconsistent in our relationships--with God and people.  Okay, is it just me? We can be inconsistent in taking care of ourselves.  The list could go on awhile for some of us.  I struggle with consistency!!  My prayer for myself is to be more consistent so my kids will be more consistent.  I want to listen good this week to God!  And next week and so on.  I want to listen and obey.  For there's no other way...oh, that's another hymn, but you get the point.  When God speaks, we better be ready to listen and obey.  

Are there any areas of your life in which you listened good last week?  Are you too engrossed in your new toys to hear Him?  I know I have been before.  What else is keeping you from listening?  Ask God to give you listening ears and an obedient heart.  He'll give them to you!  Then ask him to help your little ones to obey you because that pleases God.  He'll give you patience and help your little ones in the process.  

Be lifted!

Sue

Deuteronomy 5:27
Go near and listen to all that the LORD our God says.  Then tell us whatever the Lord our God tells you.  We will listen and obey.

Ephesians 6:1
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 

No comments: