Monday, September 22, 2008

THE TOP SHELF

Hey Everybody,

Have you heard about the gas shortage in Nashville? It has been an interesting week here in Music City! However, it got me thinking about being prepared, and I thought of a great tip to share.

I really don't like running out of something, and as you can imagine, my husband doesn't either! So when I was a new mom and learning how to operate as a "home manager," I created a Top Shelf in our bathroom linen closet. I wanted to have an "extra" of everything, so that we never ran out. After all, who wants to run out of toilet paper, deodorant, toothpaste, or razors? So I began buying two of everything, as my budget would allow, until my Top Shelf was fully stocked.

When I make out my grocery list, I just check the Top Shelf to see what needs to be replaced. If it's not on the shelf, then I know that we will soon be out. By keeping the Top Shelf up to speed, no one is ever out of anything he/she needs! This goes a long way in keeping mornings stress-free--for everybody!

This philosophy has expanded to a cabinet in my laundry room where light bulbs and batteries are stored, as well as a hard-to-reach cabinet in my kitchen where I keep my husband's favorite snack foods, my daughter's favorite breakfast bars, and the black beans and rice mix that we cannot seem to function without for more than three days at a time!

"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread
of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

post signature

No comments: