Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Prayers of babes

My three-year-old is into praying.  He is grateful to God for things I don't think of.  My ten-year-old tends to get irritated when the little one prays too long.  She can have the attitude that God doesn't care about "goofy" things like toys and other things a little boy might pray about.  I am a firm believer that God is grinning when my little guy prays.  Nothing is too long or tedious for God...not when it comes to gratitude!  Here's an example of what I'm describing:

"Thank you God for my bed.  Thank you God for my Star Wars plate.  Thank you for sister, for brother, for Mom, and Dad.  Thank you for Grandma Mary.  Thank you for Grandpa Ike.  Thank you for the grandma that gives us cookies.  Thank you for my Star Wars book.  Thank you for Lego Batman.  Thank you for our new characters on Lego Batman.  Thank you for fruit snacks.  Thank you for my pillow.  Thank you for our basketballs.  Bless our bodies.  Amen."

This is fairly typical these days.  Some days are funnier some days are more serious.  Most prayers are actually longer.  Recently he added a new one:

"Thank you God for God.  And thank you for the other God.  I can't think of his name, but the other God..."

I had to prompt him but he was talking about JESUS!  How sweet!  How often do we thank God for himself?  How often do we distinguish between Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit when we are saying thanks?  I don't typically thank God for these things.  I am learning to thank God for everything, fruit snacks included!  And my ten-year-old is learning that God is pleased when we say "thank you."  It's not just about saying the prayers, it's about our grateful hearts and attitudes.  

I encourage you to write down the prayers that come out the mouths of your babes.  Years from now you can be blessed all over again.

Be lifted!

Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

post signature





No comments: