Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Turn on the Lights

I ran across a video yesterday that my friend Tara had posted. Wade Bowen wrote this song after his  wife struggled with postpartum depression.  He performed this song at a Postpartum Support International event in November.  

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM_CtGsT2Tg

(I can't figure out how to just paste it here!!  It's Wade Bowen, Turn on the Lights in case this address doesn't work quite right...sorry I'm a computer idiot.)


If you are struggling with postpartum depression now or have in the past you will relate well to this.  Even if you struggle with regular clinical depression not related to giving birth you will understand these sentiments.  When we are in the middle of the darkness and fog of depression it is excruciating to ask for help.  If you are hurting there are so many safe places to ask for help, to share your hurts.  If it's not your spouse maybe it's your mom.  Perhaps it's a girlfriend or a neighbor or a doctor or a pastor.  It doesn't matter who you reach out to, please just do it.  You can e-mail me any time!  I would love it if you would call me, too.  But most of all, MOST OF ALL, reach out to your Healer.  God is always with you.  He will never leave you or forsake you.  Even darkness is light to him.  He loves you and wants you to be well and whole so you can enjoy your baby and every moment of motherhood.  


Psalm 139:11-12

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.


Be lifted!

post signature





No comments: