Friday, July 18, 2008

But I Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym!

I am by no means a morning person. If it was up to me, I would roll out of bed at the crack of 8 am and treasure every last minute of sleep. But last month, my husband and I joined a gym close to our home. My goal is to get there every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning before the kids wake up to exercise.

This Wednesday when the alarm rang, I wanted so badly to turn it off and say "Forget it!" and go right back to bed. Who needs to workout when one can sleep? But then I thought about how I would regret the decision. Before the workout, I never want to go. But after the workout, I always feel re-energized and ready for my day.

My husband's old boss gave me a helpful tip. When you're lying in bed, having that conversation with yourself about how you don't want to wake up, just get up and go to the bathroom. Once you're in the bathroom, you'll be more awake and more able to make that decision to wake up. So when lying in bed just think, "I just have get myself to the bathroom." Baby steps right?

Even when you don't feel like going to the gym or exercising at home, think "mind over matter." Take a baby step to start and you'll be glad you did!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13-Arlene

No comments: