Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy July 4th Weekend!

Happy Birthday America! What a wonderful weekend to celebrate! And since it’s a birthday party, that means there will be CAKE! Well, you might not see a literal birthday cake, but chances are, you’ll be at a picnic or event where dessert will be served in grand style.

Last Sunday, we had our church picnic and it was a blast. What was on the menu? Cheeseburgers with grilled onions, baked beans, chips, and ice cream. If you’re trying to lose weight, and you find yourself at a picnic like this, here’s my advice: enjoy everything you want but in moderation. Love cheeseburgers like me? Just eat half slowly, or eat it without the bun and use lettuce instead. Have a few chips and a few bites of ice cream with your spouse instead of having a full portion of each. Make healthy substitutions when you can, and enjoy your favorite things in moderation.

At the picnic, my mom sang karaoke (which NEVER happens), my toddler ran in a relay race and my husband poured buckets of water on his friends when the water balloon fight got creative. We laughed and laughed. Get active, run around t
his week, and enjoy yourself!

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. Psalm 136:1

Arlene

2 comments:

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

Hi Arlene,

Thanks for keeping us on track with your great ideas and motivational posts! Our church picnic is coming up on Sunday, and I had been wondering how I was going to handle it! These are great tips!

Anonymous said...

so sweet, Arlene...I love it!