Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Haircuts

Last week, my daughter asked, "Daddy, can I get my hair cut?"  His gut reaction was no and then he said he'd think about it.  He completely wanted to say, "No way!"

For my husband, long hair is a beautiful thing.  He hates it that I have short hair now.  I've tried to grow it out for him but it looks goofy and I don't like it long any more.  Some women approaching 40 look beautiful with long hair; I don't think people like me can pull it off.  My hair dresser in Minneapolis said time and time again, women who are done having children decide to grow out their hair and hold on to their youth.  I don't know if that's the case, many of you have always had long hair.  I digress...

The kids are with Grandma in Kansas City this week.  Our daughter called my husband at work yesterday and asked, "Daddy, can I get my hair cut?"  He said that was fine.  Then she called me later in the day to confirm that it was okay.  I think it's great that she's cutting it.  She's not one to take care of her hair.  Oftentimes she looks like  she doesn't have a mother, if you were judging solely on her hair.  It's always knotted and rough looking.  It's extremely thick and tangled up something awful.  So a hair chopping sounds great!  

What can you apply to our hair situation?  Some things in child rearing REALLY matter, others don't.  You and your husband have to decide what really matters and stick to your guns on those things.  It's tough for my husband to let her cut her hair but he knows it isn't an important issue.  Heart things are much more important.  Who she is and how she acts are what we care about.  Haircuts seem inconsequential when you look at it.  But if she wanted a mohawk I guess we'd have to have a family meeting...

What's important to you?  What do you want to spend your energy on, teaching your kids?   I'd like to believe that whatever is important to you will be instilled in them forever.  The good and the bad...no pressure, Mom.  But I think it's true--what we spend doing with our kids and what we teach them--it impacts who they are and who they become.  

Be lifted!
Sue

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.  

No comments: