Friday, May 30, 2008

Chocolate Anyone?


Okay, I admit it. I love chocolate. Yes, I am the "losing weight after baby" website lady and I do encourage moms to make healthy choices. But I DO love chocolate ever-so-much!

Now by loving chocolate, I don't mean I eat a big bowl of chocolate chip ice cream everyday. I try to keep my treats in moderation (like a 100 calorie chunk of dark chocolate).
I'm in maintenance mode right now, which means I want to eat enough calories to maintain my current weight. When the scale begins to creep up, I know it's time to kiss the chocolates goodbye for a few days.

If you've just had a baby, you're probably in "weight loss" mode. When I wanted to lose weight after my last pregnancy, I saved treats like chocolate to enjoy every 2 weeks or so.

Does it sound too radical to pass up chocolate for 2 weeks? Then do what my friend did. Only eat chocolate (or other favorite treats) every other day. That will cut your chocolate consumption in half if you're nibbling on something sweet everyday. The beauty of every other day is when you feel like you really want a treat, you just tell yourself, "Oh, I can eat that tomorrow," and that seems really doable.

Once you are comfortable with treats every other day, you can move to treats twice a week. And then graduate to once a week. Just remember the beauty of delayed gratification. It may be hard to say no to chocolate, but you'll be thrilled when you can put on your old jeans again. When you see the scale moving in the right direction, you'll know it was worth it to skip a treat or two.

The fruit of the Spirit is...self-control. - Galatians 5:22-23


1 comment:

Sue McRoberts said...

This is quite doable and realistic. Great advice for the chocolate junkies out there!!!
Sue