Friday, May 9, 2008

Losing Weight While on Vacation?


The summer months are approaching which means you may be headed for vacation soon. How do vacations usually impact moms who are trying to lose weight? You usually end up coming home a week later with 5 extra pounds to shed after all the dinners and desserts add up!

My family has just returned from our first roadtrip to Yosemite with my in-laws. I'm happy to report we all did great on the 8 hour trip (except for one hour on the last day when our baby Noelle had enough and wanted out of the car!).

When you're on vacation, it's a bit ambitious to say you're going to lose weight, so I think MAINTENANCE is a worthy goal. Here's what I have found to work:

Be active on your vacation. Take walks together, swim, bike, hike - be outdoors and keep moving! No sitting around watching TV on vacation!

Bring healthy snacks along. This way, you won't fall prey to the vending machine or fast food place when you're starving in between meals.

Practice moderation. Enjoy your splurges (after all, you are on vacation!) but don't have a big splurge for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

With a little planning, vacation can be a wonderful time of togetherness, enjoying great food while not gaining any weight in the process.

May this Mother's Day be extra special for you! God has done a new thing in your life by giving you a precious treasure. Enjoy your little baby and the privilege and high calling of motherhood. You are doing a wonderful job nurturing your family! Happy Mother's Day!

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my
petition which I asked of Him." - 1 Samuel 1:27

No comments: