Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Your child's friends

It's so nice when your kids are babies.  Their friends are people you hand pick.  Whoever you hang out with, their kids are your kid's friends.  Then they go to school and everything changes.  For my little girl  it's been a tough road thus far.  She has a couple friends we wish she didn't.  I can see bad things down the road for them.  And I'd rather she didn't experience the world they are exposed to.  She's in third grade and has a few friends who watch MTV and aren't supervised by adults very often, fun things of that nature.  She has one friend who can be found wandering our streets on any given day at any given time.  One of her friends dresses like she's 25 and anxious to catch a man.  But what do you do?  Seriously, what do you do?  If you know, please write me!!  These things can stress me out sometimes.  More often than not she is the good influence on them.   But their bad influence, even once in awhile, can be devastating.  It can take months to recover from bad choices and experiences.  

So here's what I do know.   We can pray for our kids.  We can love our kids.  We can guide and direct them according to God's principles.  We can directly tell them words of wisdom from scripture.  We can teach them how to make good decisions and pick good friends.  The rest we can leave up to God Almighty.  And may I suggest we put the fear of God in them?  I don't know if we can really do that but modeling for them that fear...that would be powerful.

Pray for your kids.  Pray for their friends.  And pray they pick some wonderful ones along the way.

Proverbs 17:7
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Proverbs 17:27
The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.

Be lifted!
Sue

 

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

Oh I so fell your pain! I am right there with you! We tend to try and steer our daughter (gently) towards girls who are sweet and have sweet families. I know we will not be able to do this always, but I think now it is important. We are very selective who we allow her to go to their house and visit.

Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed this entry. Our daughter will be in 4th grade next year. I am sure it will only get harder! Pray, Pray, Pray!