Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Who is watching YOU?

From the time your kids are newborns, they are watching you. They learn so much from us that it's pretty scary! They are learning how to interact with others, especially how to treat them. They are learning how to love by how you love them. They notice how good manners make others feel special. They develop thankfulness and gratitude based on whether or not you have such attitudes. They get their sense of God's importance in their lives from you. They get their significance from somewhere...do they know that you love them? Do they know that God will never leave them? Or is there world total chaos? What is your foundation? That will be your child's foundation whether or not you like it. Can they stray from it? Sure. But I totally with all my heart believe that verse in Proverbs 22:6, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when his old he will not turn from it." I think every investment we make in training our children will yield results...eventually. God doesn't promise anywhere in scripture that it will be easy or that we will see results in our own lifetime. But if you are teaching your kids the Word, it will make a difference in their lives. Pray for your kids. Read your Bible with your kids. Teach them verses. Post scripture around your home. But don't forget to watch yourself. What are you saying to them? Do you believe it or do you just say it? When times are tough do you turn to the chips or the phone or do you call on your Father? How you walk with God in every and all circumstances...whew...they are watching you! And they are learning. What about your tongue? That's my biggest problem. I have one kid that makes me crazy. I've said things I never thought I'd say. God's had to discipline me for my anger and silliness. Some personalities are sooooo difficult to handle. But God is patient and kind. He's allowed me to keep my tongue and now it's better handled. So I've had to ask my kids for forgiveness from time to time. Not that I advocate sinning in order to teach your kids...but it has been great for my kids to see me ask God to do better and also to ask them for forgiveness. Today, look at your life. What are you doing with your kids? How do you spend your time? What do you do and what do you say? And who do you depend on? These are wonderful things to contemplate. We're investing in eternity ladies!

And another thing, have you thought about the other moms who might be watching you and how you treat your kiddos? Just a thought....

Hebrews 12:1-2, 12-13 (NLT)
Since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with the endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish. So take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet. Then those who follow you, though they are weak and lame, will not stumble and fall but will become strong.

Be lifted!
Sue

No comments: